1. Obligation to inform the Organization
CERN keeps a record of information concerning the family situation of the members of its personnel to ensure that they enjoy the benefits to which they are entitled.
Before taking up their appointment, members of the personnel must provide official documents as evidence of their family situation.
Information about family members is recorded when the employment or association contract is drawn up.
Pursuant to Article R V 1.38 of the Staff Regulations, members of the personnel are required to inform the Organization in writing, within 30 calendar days, of any change in their family situation and the amount of any financial benefit to which they (or a member of their family) are entitled from a source other than CERN.
2. Non-concurrence of financial benefits of a similar nature
Pursuant to Articles R V 1.38 and R V 1.39 of the Staff Regulations, any benefits of a similar nature received by or for a member of the personnel or a member of his family from a source other than CERN are deducted from the benefits of the same nature paid by the Organization (e.g. family allowance, child allowance, infant allowance, removal expenses, travel expenses, reinstallation indemnity, non-resident allowance or international indemnity).
The amounts received must be declared using the Declaration allowances and indemnities, which must be completed, signed and sent to the Departmental Secretariat (DAO) or directly to the HR Department service concerned (staff members and fellows / other categories of personnel).
Any change must be reported using this questionnaire within 30 calendar days.
Any financial benefits of a similar nature must also be declared in the event of the birth/adoption of a child or the marriage of a staff member or fellow, using the EDH change of family situation document.
N.B.: Any indemnities, remuneration or stipends received by a child during his education or in the framework of a work placement must be declared using the education fee claim form.
3. Benefits dependent on family situation
3.1 Family allowances
The Organization pays staff and fellows:
- who have a family (spouse/partner or dependent child): a family allowance, and
- for each dependent child: a child allowance, and
- for each child under the age of three: an infant allowance.
The amounts of these allowances are set out in Annex R A 3 of the Staff Rules and Regulations.
N.B. The Organization pays only one family allowance to staff members or fellows who are married or in a registered partnership with another staff member or fellow or who have children in common.
The Organization pays only one child allowance and one infant allowance per child.
3.2 Adjustment of the subsistence allowance
Scientific associates, guest professors, project associates and students on a contract of at least six months who are accompanied in the local area by a spouse/partner and/or dependent child for a minimum of six months receive an increase in their monthly subsistence allowance to take account of their family situation.
This supplement amounts to:
- 503 CHF if the member of the personnel concerned is accompanied by a spouse/partner for a minimum of six months; or
- 1007 CHF if the member of the personnel concerned is accompanied by one or more dependent children for a minimum of six months.
These amounts are non-cumulative.
An associated member of the personnel who is married to or in a registered partnership with an employed member of the personnel or who has one or more children with an employed member of the personnel is not eligible for a family supplement. If two associated members of the personnel are married or in a registered partnership or have at least one dependent child in common, only one subsistence allowance supplement is granted.
3.3 Other benefits
The Organization takes the family situation of members of the personnel into account for the following entitlements (non-exhaustive list):
- International indemnity and non-resident allowance
- Travel to the home station and home leave / Travel and leave for family reasons
- Payment of education fees: summary
- CERN Health Insurance Scheme (CHIS)
- Payment of travel expenses on taking up appointment and Payment of travel expenses on termination of contract
- Leave for family reasons