This is it! Your first week has arrived, here are the essential steps you will have to follow to ensure your seamless integration and take up of your new role.
You can download a printable version of this list here.
1. Attend the Welcome session you are invited to on your first day at the Globe of Science and Innovation.
- Ensure you register for the event and download your temporary access card before the day following instructions provided in the invitation a week before.
2. Once you have arrived, within 48 hours, fetch your CERN access card at the registration service, Building 55.
- NOTE: the access card must be worn visibly at all times on the site.
3. Follow guidance provided by the Cards Service (or the Users' Office is you are a USER, VISC or COAS) to apply for your Swiss and French cards, for yourself and members of your family where applicable.
- If you already have a card or a Swiss permit (types B, C, G or L), please bring it with you on your first day.
- You will be asked to return any existing card or Swiss permit in order to apply for the Swiss legitimation card which is mandatory for CERN personnel with a contract of over 55% presence at CERN.
4. Open a Swiss bank account within 18 days and register it on this link.
5. Register your vehicle and acquaint yourself with the Traffic and parking regulations on the site.
6. If needed, download proof of your employment with CERN on this self-service link (for e.g. apartment rental or other purposes).
7. Familiarise yourself with taxation matters and how to make a tax declaration in France and Switzerland.
8. Complete your local address in this form and provide your emergency contacts on this link.
9. For new Staff members or holders of a fellow contract (who will be automatically affiliated to the CHIS):
- If you are married or in a registered partnership, please complete the Spouse Health Insurance and Professional Income Declaration (SHIPID) on this link within 30 calendar days from the start of your employment contract.
- If you are covered by the French Sécurité sociale or a LAMal health insurance:
- Your "Sécurité sociale" cover automatically ends on the first day of your contract with CERN (please note you will have to return your Vitale card); if covered by LAMal, you should take steps to end your LAMal cover. You may also have to take steps regarding your spouse/partner and/or dependent children (please contact UNIQA).
10. Register your personal devices to the CERN network (laptop, smartphone, and tablet) on the Network Portal.
- You will need to provide some basic information such as the make, model, OS and more importantly the MAC address of your devices.
- To help us keep informed of newcomers' IT needs, please complete the following Survey.
11. If not done prior to arrival, take the mandatory safety course.
‹ Before I arrive Life @ CERN ›