A warm welcome to CERN!
Whether you are joining as a staff member, a fellow, a student, a trainee, an associate or a user there is much ahead to look forward to!
Before you come to CERN, there are several things you need to do to prepare your arrival, as follows (you can download a printable version of this checklist here):
1. Sign and return your contract according to instructions provided by your CERN contact.
2. Activate your CERN computing account as soon as you have signed and returned your contract:
Many webpages in this onboarding journey require a CERN computing account to access their content. If you have not already received an email prompting you to create/activate your account following your contract signature, send a scanned copy of your passport to email@example.com asking for 'computing account creation'.
3. Follow the mandatory computing security and safety courses.
4. Check whether you need a Visa to enter Switzerland or France:
- In principle nationals of the European Union and the European Economic Area do not need a visa.
- If you do, please complete the Visa requirements where applicable, ensuring you respect the deadlines provided.
5. Check your vehicle formalities:
- Ensure your driving licence is valid for the duration of your contract (for more information see this page).
- If you are coming to CERN with your vehicle, you can register it before arriving, following the procedure on this link. If you plan on importing a vehicle, you can consult the Installation service's webpages and/or contact them via the Service Desk.
6. Ensure you are well acquainted with the CERN Staff Rules and Regulations and the CERN Code of Conduct.
7. Read the useful information on the page "What I need to know", covering specificities of life in France and Switzerland.
8. If you are a staff member, student or a fellow, download the following specific information relevant to your status which will be useful upon taking up your functions at CERN.
- Your HR adviser (for staff) and Programme coordinator (for Fellows and students) will guide you on specific questions regarding any entitlements you may have (see "Who are my key contacts" page).
- Specific information
9. If you need to contact CERN services:
My First Week › Life @ CERN »