CHIS - Who to contact for what?

UNIQA - Third-Party Administrator (TPA) of the CHIS

The CHIS Manager at CERN

  • questions regarding general administration, e.g. membership requests, membership cards, payment of contributions or insurance certificates
  • queries regarding the cover, benefits, conditions and procedures
  • queries regarding the processing or calculation of your reimbursements,
  • information about care providers,
  • tariff agreements and benefits,
  • questions about the application of the CHIS Rules

E-mail: (link sends e-mail)

You can also write to UNIQA or visit the UNIQA Offices

Your reimbursement statements and information on your insurance cover are available online on the UNIQA Member Portal (link is external).

  • remarks or suggestions on general CHIS policy,
  • to provide feedback on the website or the CHISBull,
  • feedback on your experience with the TPA (UNIQA)

E-mail : (link sends e-mail)

UNIQA Assistance


In case of urgent health problems during travel, you can call: +41.22.819.44.77. This service provices medical assistance globally and is available 24h/day. The telephone number is printed on the back of your insurance card. Questions regardning the Spouse Health Insurance & Professional Income Declaration (SHIPID) should be addressed to: CHIS SHIPID Service.


Updated on: 09/01/2018