Loss of Earnings Insurance

Why should you be insured?

The Staff Rules and Regulations (art.RII 4.13) state that when a person accumulates over 12 months of sick leave during any period of 36 months, their remuneration paid by CERN is reduced.

Remuneration is reduced to two thirds when the staff member accumulates between 12 and 30 months of absence and reduces to zero after the period of absence exceeds 30 months.

Taking out insurance against loss of earnings allows protection against these financial consequences.

Upon management request, UNIQA offers a loss of earnings insurance scheme, which fully complements  CERN's remuneration policy.

The Staff Association also offers its members loss of earnings insurance which is identical to the above insurance and is also run by UNIQA.

Who can apply for this insurance?

  • Employed members of personnel: staff and fellows.

How the insurance works

  • The basic salary/stipend as well as the international/non-residence allowance is insured.
  • For 2017 the annual premium will be 0.17% of the annual remuneration. The premium is deducted directly from the insured's pay by the CERN salary office at the beginning of the year.
  • The insurance expires after a year but is renewed automatically every year.
  • A waiting period of 12 months from the start of membership is required : No claims can be made before this waiting period has been completed.
  • In the event of a claim, your salary is maintained without any further action required on your part.

How to enroll

Fill in the membership application form below and return it to UNIQA.

UNIQA guarantees temporary cover upon the receipt of your insurance proposal.  Except for in exceptional circumstances, the insured will receive his/her policy within 30 days.

For more information

  • see the reference document below.
  • UNIQA staff will be happy to assist you with any further information you may require
Updated on: 19/10/2010